Articles, Audio & Video
Unity Woods Yoga is an active participant in the national and international yoga community. John Schumacher and our other teachers write articles, follow scientific studies, present at conferences and teach around the world.
This page is regularly updated with news and information about the practice of yoga. We hope you will check back often to see what’s new.
- Drop In Community Classes, $8 February 3, 2017 Mixed level, one-hour asana classes taught by different Unity Woods teachers in Bethesda every Friday of the session (unless otherwise noted)
- From Virasana to Krounchasana with John Schumacher (Yoga Journal, February 2017) January 12, 2017 John Schumacher teaches how to move from Virasana to Krounchasana in Yoga Journal’s February 2017 issue
- Fundraiser for George Purvis with John Schumacher December 29, 2016 George Purvis, cornerstone of Iyengar Yoga in the Southwestern US and teacher/cowboy/human extraordinaire, in recent years has been beset by a series of serious physical ailments, several of which would have killed a normal person. John is offering a benefit workshop to help George and his wife Susan defray some of the astronomical expenses ...
- Studio News ~ Winter 2017 December 1, 2016 John was guest teacher for the Iyengar Yoga Association of Chile’s First Annual Convention
- John at Iyengar Yoga Association of Chile’s First Annual Convention December 1, 2016 John was honored and privileged to be invited as the guest teacher for the Iyengar Yoga Association of Chile’s First Annual Convention this November
- John’s Letter ~ Winter 2017: A Hello From Our New Administrator Judith Fried November 18, 2016 Hello, Unity Woods community. As many of you may know, the long-time Administrator of Unity Woods, Esther Geiger, is retiring from her position here. I will be taking the reins, although it has been noted that I cannot (and will not try to) replace Esther. But I will try to fill her shoes in a role ...
- 34th Annual Yoga Vacation in Jamaica November 4, 2016 John and Barbara Benagh continue the decades old tradition of welcoming students to their annual yoga vacation in Jamaica
- Iyengar Yoga Therapy for Chronic Low Back Pain September 8, 2016 The IYNAUS research committee has created a lovely flyer showing results of research into the benefits of Iyengar Yoga for chronic low back pain. Download flyer
- Call for Level II/III and Level III Volunteer Students August 30, 2016 Unity Woods is hosting an Iyengar Yoga assessment for IYNAUS certification at the Senior I level. If you are a Level II/II or Level III and would like to volunteer as a student for this assessment, please read all prerequisites
- Chant4Change (C4C) August 23, 2016 On October 8th, exactly one month before Election Day, thousands will come together for a a historic event called CHANT4CHANGE. The gathered crowd will raise their voices as one, in song, with a message of love, unity, hope, peace, and praise